Did you recently sustain a work-related injury that is hindering your physical abilities? When you have to take off work due to an injury or ailment, that can undeniably cause some monetary distress, especially if you are unsure of how long your recovery period will be. It is important to make sure that you have a proper rehabilitation plan set in place that will get you back to your normal routine as quickly as possible.
Luckily, Figurelli Integrated Wellness Center can help with this. Physical therapy plays a key role in helping people recover from their work injuries, especially since treatment plans are often covered under workers’ compensation insurance. If you have been injured at work, contact our Hazlet and Neptune City physical therapy office today to find out how our specialized services can help get you back to your normal physical function – and back to work!
What exactly is a work injury?
Any injury, ailment, or illness that is sustained while an employee is on the job can be defined as a work injury. Many occupations pose potentially dangerous situations, such as nursing, construction, or police work. However, even occupations that you may not consider to pose potentially dangerous situations can lead to pain or injury.
For example, even jobs in an office can lead to work injuries, as sitting in the same position for prolonged periods of time can take a toll on your body. People who work in offices or factories are also prone to repetitive motion injuries, due to the fact that their jobs require constant repetition. If you happen to get hurt at work, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible, since almost any type of injury left untreated may become more severe over time.
What are the most common work injuries?
The causes and types of work injuries vary, as there is a large number that may be sustained through different occupations. The most common types of work injuries include:
- Back pain – Back pain is the most commonly reported source of pain. Back injuries are typically caused by rotating or twisting the back in an incorrect way. It can be caused by several work-related activities, such as sitting at a desk all day, or putting too much force on your back. Repeatedly lifting heavy items can also lead to back pain. If you are experiencing back pain, MoveForwardPT states that receiving physical therapy early on can be a cost-effective treatment option.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that occurs in the wrist when the median nerve becomes compressed, generally due to repetitive motions. Common causes of carpal tunnel syndrome include assembly line work and excessive typing. According to Harvard Health, it is necessary to seek treatment for this condition as soon as possible, in order to avoid long-term nerve damage. A physical therapy program may include stretches to improve flexibility, as well as light exercises to strengthen the muscles in your hand and wrist.
- Sprains and strains – Sprains affect the ligaments in your body while strains affect the tendons. These occur when the ligaments or tendons are stretched beyond their limits, which can result from either a sudden trauma, such as falling off a ladder, or repetitive motions. They can also occur as a result of improper use of equipment. Whatever the case may be, physical therapy can help reduce or even eliminate the pain from an injured tendon or ligament.
- Tendonitis – Tendonitis develops through repetitive motions and excessive overuse of certain body parts. Symptoms typically include tenderness, pain, swelling, and tenderness This condition most commonly occurs in the elbows, shoulders, and knees, and it can be corrected with physical therapy.
- Auto accidents – There is always a risk of motor vehicle injuries if you work in a job that requires the use of a vehicle. Work-related automobile accidents can result in injuries ranging from mild cuts and abrasions to broken bones and severe whiplash. Physical therapy can help in your recovery from an automobile accident by reducing your pain and inflammation, as well as restoring your range of motion.
How will physical therapy treat my work injury?
Physical therapy has been known to quickly, effectively, and successfully treat work injuries for people of all ages. Our Hazlet and Neptune City physical therapists use the most advanced treatment methods aimed at relieving pain, improving mobility, and promoting overall healing. At your initial appointment, your physical therapist will conduct a physical evaluation and create a personalized treatment plan that meets your specific needs. These treatments may include specialized methods and modalities, including but not limited to:
- Ice and heat therapies
- Laser technology
- Electrical stimulation
Our dedicated physical therapists will also provide you with helpful techniques for proper performance while on the job, in order to avoid further injury in the future. Physical therapy is an easy, natural, and quick way to recover from work injuries. In many cases, it can even eliminate the need for potentially harmful prescription drugs or surgical intervention. If you are suffering from a work injury, contact Figurelli Integrated Wellness Center today at Hazlet, NJ and Neptune City, NJ center to schedule your appointment. We’ll help you recover quickly and get you back to your normal work performance in no time!